RAWALPINDI: In a fresh ceasefire violation, Indian troops on Tuesday shelled Kakuta village in Chirikot sector along the Line of Control (LoC), killing a 75-year-old civilian, the military’s media wing said. “Indian bunkers (were) engaged by Pak troops” after they targeted Kakuta village in Chirikot sector, the Inter-Services Public Relations said in a statement, adding that the 75-year-old victim of Indian shelling was identified as Mehmooda Begum.
Earlier on Sunday, Indian security forces resorted to unprovoked firing at civilian population across the Line of Control (LoC), injuring a child in Azad Jammu Kashmir (AJK).
The injured 10-year-old child was identified as Umar, who was playing in his home in Battal sector when he was hit by a bullet fired by Indian Border Security Force (BSF). He was rushed to a nearby hospital. The incident came two days after Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi approved funds to develop community protection bunkers for the safety of civilian population along the LoC.
He visited the LoC in Chirikot sector accompanied by Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa on Friday. While interacting with families of martyrs and injured due to Indian shelling, he announced an increase in financial assistance to the families, and also condemned unprofessional approach of targeting innocent civilians by Indians.
PM Abbasi said that Pakistan shall continue its political, diplomatic and moral support to Kashmiris for their just struggle. This year alone, 1,100 ceasefire violations have taken place along the LoC and the Working Boundary, according to a Foreign Office tally, killing 47 innocent civilians and injuring over 160.